Cuisine Strips Top NZ Restaurant Amisfield from 2025 Guide After Misconduct Allegations Against Ex-Chef Vaughan Mabee
Zero Signal Staff
Published May 6, 2026 at 7:03 AM ET · 14 days ago

Cuisine Magazine
Cuisine Magazine has removed Amisfield Restaurant from its 2025 Good Food Guide after allegations of alcohol and verbal abuse, lewd comments, and at times physical aggression involving former executive chef Vaughan Mabee.
Cuisine Magazine has removed Amisfield Restaurant from its 2025 Good Food Guide after allegations of alcohol and verbal abuse, lewd comments, and at times physical aggression involving former executive chef Vaughan Mabee. The decision strips the Queenstown-area fine-dining venue of the Restaurant of the Year title and three-hat ranking it had been awarded in the 2025 Cuisine Good Food Awards.
The Details
Cuisine editor Kelli Brett said the magazine received at least five complaints about Mabee before making the decision. In an editorial statement published on the magazine's website, Brett said the alleged behaviour did not meet the guide's standards for ethical workplace conduct.
"This behavior by an executive chef does not meet our standards of ethical workplace behavior so as a result we can no longer promote Amisfield as the leading restaurant in New Zealand at this time," Brett said.
She added: "We cannot allow our audience to turn to our current guide and be advised that a restaurant where employees were disrespected and abused is, in our opinion, one of the country's best."
Newsroom reported that three women spoke on the record about Mabee's behaviour. The publication also said 10 other people connected to Amisfield or the wider hospitality industry said they witnessed or experienced aggressive or offensive conduct.
Amisfield owner John Darby told Newsroom the company was aware of historical complaints about Mabee in 2016 and 2022. Darby said the company issued formal written warnings in response to those complaints. He said the company later removed Mabee from the workplace while an independent investigation was conducted, and subsequently accepted his resignation in February.
RNZ separately reported that Mabee had earlier stated he resigned in 2026 to spend more time with family and pursue opportunities overseas. Amisfield chief executive Simon Toneycliffe confirmed to RNZ that the resignation took place in February.
Mabee, in a statement reported by Newsroom, apologised for his conduct toward former colleagues. "I unreservedly apologised to former colleagues for my inappropriate behaviour to them or any inconsiderate comments made … I am truly sorry for any harm or offence," he said.
Context
Amisfield is an award-winning fine-dining restaurant located near Arrowtown and Queenstown. It was ranked on the World's 50 Best Restaurants 51-100 list in 2025. Mabee had worked at the restaurant for about 15 years and was previously named one of the World's Top 100 Chefs.
The restaurant had been awarded Restaurant of the Year and three hats in the 2025 Cuisine Good Food Awards before the removal. The current Cuisine Good Food Guide remains in effect until the next edition is released in August 2026.
Cuisine announced that Amisfield will close for renovations from 18 May and reopen on 7 July. The two-month closure means the restaurant will miss the 2026 Good Food Guide assessment window. The guide plans to revisit Amisfield in 2027.
What's Next
Amisfield is scheduled to close for renovations on 18 May and will remain closed until 7 July. Cuisine said the renovation period means the restaurant will not be assessed for inclusion in the 2026 guide, with the publication planning to revisit Amisfield in 2027. The current guide, which no longer lists Amisfield, remains in effect until the August 2026 edition is released.
Never Miss a Signal
Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.
