Fulton County moves to block DOJ demand for 2020 election workers’ personal data
Zero Signal Staff
Published May 5, 2026 at 2:14 PM ET · 15 days ago

The Associated Press / The Hill / CourtListener
Fulton County has asked a federal judge to quash a Justice Department grand jury subpoena seeking the personal information of thousands of people who worked on the county’s 2020 election operations.
Fulton County has asked a federal judge to quash a Justice Department grand jury subpoena seeking the personal information of thousands of people who worked on the county’s 2020 election operations. County officials say the demand is overbroad, politically motivated, and dangerous to workers who already face threats and harassment.
The Details
On May 4, the Fulton County Board of Registration and Elections filed a motion in federal court asking a judge to block the subpoena. The motion argues the subpoena cannot lead to a viable criminal prosecution because the statute of limitations for any federal crimes related to the 2020 election has already expired. County lawyers also contend the request is overbroad, reaching far beyond vote tabulation to include bus drivers for mobile voting locations and temporary poll workers. The county says the subpoena sweeps in workers with roles that had no connection to ballot handling or vote counting.
The subpoena specifically demands names, residential and email addresses, and personal telephone numbers for thousands of permanent election staff, volunteers, and other personnel tied to Fulton County’s 2020 election operations. The county warns that releasing this information would chill future election participation and expose workers who already fear threats and harassment to further risk.
In its motion, the county is direct about its view of the subpoena’s intent. "Its purpose is to target, harass, and punish the President’s perceived political opponents," the filing states. The county frames the demand not as a legitimate law enforcement inquiry but as an effort to single out individuals for political reasons.
The filing arrives in the context of prior Trump administration actions targeting Fulton County’s 2020 election records. Earlier this year, the FBI seized ballots and other election materials from the county in January. The county’s motion casts the new subpoena as a continuation of that pattern of federal pressure.
Robb Pitts, chair of the Fulton County Board of Commissioners, issued public statements supporting the motion and condemning the federal demand. "Let me be crystal clear. Fulton County will not be intimidated," Pitts said. He also said: "This is yet another act of outrageous federal overreach designed to intimidate and chill participation in elections."
Context
Fulton County has been central to former President Donald Trump’s false claims that the 2020 presidential election in Georgia was stolen from him. Georgia certified that President Joe Biden won the state by 11,779 votes.
In the years since, Trump allies have repeatedly singled out Fulton County election workers. Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, two Fulton County election workers, became the focus of false fraud accusations and faced threats and harassment as a result. The county’s motion cites the history of threats against election workers as a central reason the subpoena should be rejected, arguing that adding names and addresses to a federal list would replicate the conditions that endangered Freeman and Moss.
What's Next
The motion to quash is now before a federal judge. The county’s argument rests on four main pillars: that the subpoena is overbroad, that it is politically motivated, that any underlying criminal claims are time-barred by the statute of limitations, and that disclosure would put election workers at risk of harassment and threats. If the judge sides with the county, the Justice Department would be blocked from obtaining the personal information of thousands of county election personnel. If the judge rejects the motion, the names, residential addresses, email addresses, and personal telephone numbers of permanent staff, volunteers, bus drivers, and temporary poll workers could be turned over to federal investigators.
Never Miss a Signal
Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.
