Back to Home
Trending

Hantavirus Outbreak on MV Hondius Cruise Ship Claims Three Lives, CDC Says U.S. Risk Remains Low

ZS

Zero Signal Staff

Published May 13, 2026 at 10:09 PM ET · 6 days ago

Health authorities are tracking at least 11 confirmed or suspected cases of hantavirus, including three deaths, linked to the Dutch-flagged cruise ship MV Hondius. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on May 12 that no U.S.

Health authorities are tracking at least 11 confirmed or suspected cases of hantavirus, including three deaths, linked to the Dutch-flagged cruise ship MV Hondius. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on May 12 that no U.S. cases of Andes virus had been confirmed as a result of the outbreak and that the risk to the American public remains extremely low.

The Details

A 70-year-old Dutch man died aboard the MV Hondius on April 11 and is now believed to have been the first case linked to the outbreak, according to CBS News. The man's wife disembarked in Saint Helena and later died in South Africa on April 24 after her condition deteriorated. A German passenger died aboard the vessel on May 2 after developing fever and pneumonia symptoms.

As of May 13, CBS News reported that at least 11 confirmed or suspected cases had been tied to the ship, with new suspected cases still emerging as of May 12. The vessel is operated by Oceanwide Expeditions.

The strain identified in the outbreak is Andes virus. According to the CDC, Andes virus is the only known hantavirus strain that can spread from person to person through prolonged close contact. The Dutch couple believed to be the index cases had traveled through Argentina, Chile and Uruguay before boarding the ship, passing through areas where the rodent species that carries Andes virus is present, according to WHO information cited by CBS News.

The CDC coordinated the repatriation of U.S. passengers from the ship to high-containment facilities in Nebraska and Atlanta for monitoring and care. During that process, CBS News reported that one American on the repatriation flight tested mildly PCR positive for Andes virus, while another symptomatic passenger later tested negative. However, the CDC said on May 12 that no U.S. cases of Andes virus had been confirmed as a result of the outbreak.

"The risk of a pandemic caused by this outbreak and the overall risk to the American public and travelers remains extremely low," the CDC said in its May 12 outbreak situation summary.

Context

Hantaviruses typically spread through contact with rodent urine, droppings or saliva, according to the CDC. Andes virus stands apart as the only known strain with documented person-to-person transmission capability. Following the outbreak, WHO and national health agencies have been monitoring contacts across at least 12 countries after passengers disembarked in Saint Helena and the Canary Islands, CBS News reported.

During the evacuation phase in the Canary Islands, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus addressed public concerns about the outbreak, stating, "This disease is not COVID," according to CBS News.

What's Next

Health officials continue to monitor passengers and crew as the investigation proceeds. Contact tracing efforts span at least 12 countries where passengers disembarked. The CDC's May 12 assessment maintained that the risk of a pandemic caused by the outbreak "remains extremely low." CBS News reported that new suspected cases were still emerging as of May 12, and the exact confirmation status for some international cases may continue to change after May 13.

Never Miss a Signal

Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.