High Court Adjourns Andrew Tate Civil Sexual Assault Trial After Police Reopen Criminal Investigation
Zero Signal Staff
Published May 6, 2026 at 5:14 PM ET · 14 days ago

BBC News
A High Court judge has adjourned Andrew Tate's civil trial over allegations of sexual violence, which had been scheduled to begin on June 22, 2026, after Hertfordshire Constabulary reopened a criminal investigation into alleged offences reported betw
A High Court judge has adjourned Andrew Tate's civil trial over allegations of sexual violence, which had been scheduled to begin on June 22, 2026, after Hertfordshire Constabulary reopened a criminal investigation into alleged offences reported between 2014 and 2015. Mrs Justice Lambert told the court that the case would be heard "as soon as this case is ready," but stopped short of granting a lengthy delay requested by Tate's legal team.
The Details
At a preliminary hearing on May 5, 2026, Mrs Justice Lambert ruled that the civil trial could not proceed as planned the following month. The decision followed an application by Tate's barrister, Vanessa Marshall KC, who submitted in written pleadings that there was "a real risk that Tate would not have access to material that could help him due to the ongoing criminal reinvestigation." The judge rejected the request for a 12-month stay of proceedings.
In lieu of the stay, the judge directed that a new hearing would take place in July to receive updates on the progress of the police investigation. Mrs Justice Lambert indicated that a substantive hearing could potentially be held in the Michaelmas term, which runs before Christmas, provided the case is ready to proceed by that time.
The civil case centres on claims brought by four women who are suing Tate for civil damages over alleged incidents in Luton and Hitchin. The reported incidents span the period between 2013 and 2015. The allegations include claims of rape, assault with a belt, being grabbed by the throat, and a gun being pointed at one woman's face during the reported incidents.
The trial had originally been listed for February 2027 before being brought forward to June 22, 2026. Anne Studd KC, who represents the four women, told the court: "Unfortunately the trial could not go ahead... When you get given a trial date you work your way to the trial date and for it to be adjourned this late in the day is at least very unfortunate indeed."
In a written defence submitted to the High Court, Tate denied all of the allegations. He described the claims as a "pack of lies" and "gross fabrications."
The adjournment follows a decision by Hertfordshire Constabulary in March 2026 to reopen its investigation into alleged rape and sexual assault offences. The original investigation had been launched after three women reported allegations to the force in 2014, with a fourth woman coming forward in 2015. That original investigation concluded in 2019 without charges being brought against Tate.
In September 2024, the Crown Prosecution Service conducted a review of the case and determined that the legal test to bring criminal charges was not met. Despite the CPS review, Hertfordshire Constabulary announced the reinvestigation earlier this year. The reopened probe is reportedly examining over a million messages, videos, and photos that have been recovered from 10 devices.
Hertfordshire Constabulary is also being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct over its handling of the original investigation. Tate, a 37-year-old British-US dual citizen, faces additional legal proceedings beyond the High Court civil action. He is also bringing a separate legal challenge against the Crown Prosecution Service regarding charges from Operation Moonwalk, with a hearing due to take place on June 23.
Context
Tate faces criminal and civil legal challenges in multiple jurisdictions. In the United Kingdom, he is involved alongside the High Court civil action with proceedings related to Operation Moonwalk. In the United States, he is subject to a Florida investigation and faces a lawsuit filed by a former girlfriend in Los Angeles. In Romania, he faces proceedings related to allegations of human trafficking, rape, and money laundering. The High Court civil trial in England represents one strand of extensive legal action spanning three countries.
What's Next
A hearing is scheduled for July to review the status of the Hertfordshire Constabulary reinvestigation. Mrs Justice Lambert has indicated that a substantive hearing could take place in the Michaelmas term if the case is ready. Tate is separately due to appear in court on June 23 for a challenge against the Crown Prosecution Service concerning charges related to Operation Moonwalk. The timeline for the civil trial will depend on the progress of the ongoing police reinvestigation and the outcome of the July hearing.
Never Miss a Signal
Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.
