Back to Home
Breaking News

Iran And U.S. Trade Conflicting Accounts Of Hormuz Warship Encounter

ZS

Zero Signal Staff

Published May 4, 2026 at 11:01 PM ET · 15 days ago

Iran And U.S. Trade Conflicting Accounts Of Hormuz Warship Encounter

Reuters / CNBC / Al Jazeera / CBS News

Iran said its navy forced a U.S. warship to turn back near the Strait of Hormuz on May 4, while U.S. Central Command denied Iranian state-media claims that any American ship had been struck, according to Al Jazeera, Reuters and CNBC.

Iran said its navy forced a U.S. warship to turn back near the Strait of Hormuz on May 4, while U.S. Central Command denied Iranian state-media claims that any American ship had been struck, according to Al Jazeera, Reuters and CNBC. The dispute matters because the competing accounts emerged during Project Freedom, a U.S. operation to guide commercial vessels through one of the world's most important shipping chokepoints, according to CNBC.

The Details

Reuters reported that Iran's semi-official Fars news agency said a U.S. warship was hit by two missiles near the port of Jask, at the southern entrance to the Strait of Hormuz, and turned back. Al Jazeera reported Iran said its navy forced a U.S. warship to retreat from the strait, while Washington denied that a clash had taken place.

CNBC reported that U.S. Central Command rejected Iranian state-media claims of a successful strike. CENTCOM said, "No U.S. Navy ships have been struck," according to CNBC.

Reuters reported that Iran's navy said it prevented enemy warships from entering the Strait of Hormuz by issuing a "swift and decisive warning." Reuters also reported that Iran's armed forces warned foreign navies not to cross into the strait or face a "decisive response."

CNBC reported that CENTCOM said U.S. guided-missile destroyers were operating in the Arabian Gulf after transiting the Strait of Hormuz in support of Project Freedom. CNBC also reported that CENTCOM said two U.S.-flagged merchant vessels had successfully transited the strait.

CBS News reported, citing defense officials, that two U.S. Navy destroyers transited the Strait of Hormuz after facing missiles, drones and small boats from Iran. CBS News reported that neither destroyer was struck and that no launched projectiles reached the ships.

The central factual dispute remained unresolved in the public record cited by the outlets: Iranian state-aligned accounts described missile hits and a retreat, while U.S. officials said no Navy ship was hit and that American destroyers completed the transit. Reuters, CNBC and CBS News each treated the strike claim as contested rather than confirmed.

CBS News reported that President Donald Trump warned Iran against targeting U.S. ships during Project Freedom, quoting him as saying, "If Iran targets U.S. ships in the Strait of Hormuz during Project Freedom, they will be blown off the face of the Earth." CBS News also reported that Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi criticized the U.S. maritime escort operation, saying, "Project Freedom is Project Deadlock," while saying talks with the U.S. were making progress.

Context

CNBC reported that Project Freedom was announced by President Trump to guide stranded commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz. CNBC reported that the strait is a strategic chokepoint for global shipping and energy flows, with roughly 20% of the world's oil moving through it before the conflict escalated.

Reuters and Al Jazeera reported the latest confrontation as a direct clash of narratives between Iran and Washington over whether a U.S. warship was forced back near Hormuz. Reuters attributed the missile-hit claim to Fars, while CNBC attributed the denial to CENTCOM.

CBS News reported additional regional spillover on the same day, including Iranian attacks on ships and missile or drone incidents affecting Gulf states. CBS News presented those incidents as part of the broader escalation risk around Hormuz.

What's Next

The next public marker is whether U.S. Central Command or Iranian authorities release additional evidence or operational details about the May 4 encounter. CNBC reported CENTCOM's current position as a denial that any U.S. Navy ship was struck, while Reuters reported Iran's state-aligned claim that a U.S. warship was hit and turned back.

Commercial transit through the strait remains part of the immediate story because CNBC reported that two U.S.-flagged merchant vessels had successfully transited under Project Freedom. CBS News reported that the U.S. destroyers completed the transit despite missiles, drones and small boats from Iran, according to defense officials.

Never Miss a Signal

Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.