Back to Home
Entertainment

Linda Perry Discusses Let It Die Here Documentary and Solo Album as 4 Non Blondes Reunite

ZS

Zero Signal Staff

Published May 12, 2026 at 8:27 PM ET · 8 days ago

In a new Billboard interview published May 12, Linda Perry discussed her first solo album in more than a decade, Let It Die Here, which she says emerged unexpectedly while cameras documented her life for a film of the same name.

In a new Billboard interview published May 12, Linda Perry discussed her first solo album in more than a decade, Let It Die Here, which she says emerged unexpectedly while cameras documented her life for a film of the same name. The conversation also covered renewed attention around 4 Non Blondes' 1992 single 'What's Up?' and Perry's announcement that the band has reunited with a new album expected this year.

The Details

Billboard published an interview with Perry on May 12 centered on several concurrent releases. In the discussion, she addressed the documentary Linda Perry: Let It Die Here, the solo album of the same name that follows, and the reunion of 4 Non Blondes. Perry described the album not as a planned release but as one that materialized organically during the filming of the documentary.\n\nAccording to the interview, Perry did not set out to make a new solo record. She told Billboard that songs began flowing during the period when a camera crew was following her for the documentary, and she eventually recognized that the material constituted an album. 'I didn't know an album was coming,' Perry said. 'I didn't know I was there yet.' The project marks her first solo release in more than a decade, according to Billboard.\n\nThe album arrives alongside a documentary feature of the same title. Linda Perry: Let It Die Here is described in the Tribeca Festival archive as a 93-minute U.S. documentary feature directed by Don Hardy. The film had its world premiere in the Spotlight+ section of the 2024 Tribeca Festival, where it was programmed as an official selection.\n\nMercury Studios announced on April 17, 2024 that the film had been selected as an official selection for the 2024 Tribeca Festival. The announcement confirmed the project ahead of its festival debut, placing it among the feature documentaries scheduled for that year's festival program. The news came several weeks before the opening of the 2024 festival.\n\nTribeca's festival listing describes the documentary as drawing from footage captured during a period in which Perry confronted significant health and family challenges. The film includes Perry reflecting on her family obligations and the loss of her mother, according to the festival archive. It also documents the treatment she underwent after receiving a breast cancer diagnosis and double mastectomy, according to the Tribeca Festival archive.\n\nThe documentary includes appearances by several well-known artists and performers. According to the Tribeca Festival archive, the featured cast includes Dolly Parton, Brandi Carlile, Christina Aguilera, and Sara Gilbert. The festival identifies these performers as part of the credited ensemble alongside Perry.\n\nIn the same Billboard discussion, Perry also addressed the current status of 4 Non Blondes. She told the publication that the group had reunited for performances and was actively working on a new album. According to the interview, Perry said the record is expected to be released this year.

Context

Perry also spoke with Billboard about the late-year resurgence of 4 Non Blondes' 1992 single 'What's Up?' during the interview. She characterized the renewed attention as organic promotion that carried value for the group. 'You can't buy that kind of marketing,' Perry told Billboard.\n\nBillboard reported Perry's characterization of that resurgence, though independent confirmation of the timing and scope of the online wave is limited in the available sourced material. The framing remains tied to Perry's account as reported by Billboard rather than establishing a verified broader trend.\n\nBoth the documentary and the solo album share the Let It Die Here title and a common period of creation. Perry told Billboard she did not plan to make the album, indicating the material emerged as a byproduct of the documentary filming process rather than through a separate songwriting effort. The two projects are now available under the same name.

What's Next

Looking ahead, 4 Non Blondes is working on a new album that Perry expects will arrive this year. The record follows the band's reunion for performances, as Perry detailed in the May 12 Billboard interview. She said the group was actively working on the project at the time of the discussion.

Never Miss a Signal

Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.