Back to Home
Entertainment

Michael Jackson's Nephew Calls Out New York Post Report on Family Tour and Sequel Plans as 'Lies and Clickbait'

ZS

Zero Signal Staff

Published May 2, 2026 at 12:29 AM ET · 18 days ago

Michael Jackson's Nephew Calls Out New York Post Report on Family Tour and Sequel Plans as 'Lies and Clickbait'

TheWrap, The Hollywood Reporter, AOL (New York Post)

Taj Jackson, the nephew of Michael Jackson and a member of the group 3T, publicly dismissed a New York Post report claiming the Jackson family is moving to capitalize on the $217 million opening weekend of Lionsgate's 'Michael' biopic — calling the s

Taj Jackson, the nephew of Michael Jackson and a member of the group 3T, publicly dismissed a New York Post report claiming the Jackson family is moving to capitalize on the $217 million opening weekend of Lionsgate's 'Michael' biopic — calling the story 'lies and clickbait articles' built on 'fake sources.'

The Details

The New York Post published an article reporting that the Jackson family is eager to 'cash in' on the biopic's commercial success. According to the AOL republication of the Post piece, unnamed 'family sources' said La Toya, Rebbie, Jermaine, Jackie, and Marlon Jackson are already committed to a reunion tour, with efforts underway to bring Janet Jackson aboard as headliner. The proposed tour would carry the name 'Thriller,' pending approval from the Michael Jackson estate, the Post reported.

The Post's unnamed source was quoted saying: 'The success of this movie didn't just bring Michael back. It brought all of them back. The phones are ringing again, the invites are coming again, and the family knows exactly what this moment is.'

Taj Jackson responded on X, addressing the New York Post directly. 'Do I have to drag you again, @nypost? Leave my family alone with your lies and clickbait articles. You and your fake sources. A "family source" … blah blah blah,' he wrote, according to TheWrap. In a follow-up post, Jackson added: 'Stop trusting the tabloids.'

TheWrap reported that the New York Post did not immediately respond to a request for comment. According to TheWrap, Taj Jackson has been vocal on social media throughout the film's release cycle, previously writing: 'Sorry media, u don’t get to control the narrative anymore of who Michael Jackson truly was.'

The Post also reported that Lionsgate and the Jackson Estate are considering a sequel to the biopic. Director Antoine Fuqua said there is 'absolutely' enough footage for a follow-up film, and that roughly 30 percent of what could become a second feature is already shot, according to the AOL/Post report. The estate invested close to $150 million in the first film, per the same reporting. The Post said a potential sequel would cover Jackson's Dangerous era, his 1993 Super Bowl performance, his marriages to Lisa Marie Presley and Debbie Rowe, and his 2005 trial — the latter without naming accusers.

The Post's reporting on the sequel and tour plans rests on unnamed sources, and Taj Jackson's public challenge to the credibility of those sources remains unresolved. The New York Post has not publicly responded to his accusations.

Context

The 'Michael' biopic, directed by Antoine Fuqua and starring Jaafar Jackson — Michael's nephew — in his feature debut, earned $217 million in its opening weekend. The film currently holds an A- CinemaScore and a 94% Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes, according to The Hollywood Reporter and TheWrap. Critical reception has been more muted, with the film sitting at 36% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Colman Domingo plays Joe Jackson and Nia Long plays Katherine Jackson in the film, which covers Michael Jackson's upbringing and rise to fame through the 1980s, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Multiple family members were brought in as executive producers and paid well into seven figures, per the AOL/New York Post report. Janet Jackson and Randy Jackson chose not to participate in the first film, according to the same source.

Taj Jackson, the son of Tito Jackson, has been a consistent public defender of his uncle's legacy. He previously spoke out against HBO's 2019 documentary 'Leaving Neverland,' calling its allegations false and defamatory, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The biopic has also drawn criticism from James Safechuck, one of the subjects of 'Leaving Neverland,' who called the film's release 'triggering,' according to TheWrap.

What's Next

The dispute between Taj Jackson and the New York Post over the sourcing of the tour and sequel claims remains publicly unresolved. TheWrap reported that the Post had not responded to a request for comment at the time of publication.

Director Antoine Fuqua has stated there is 'absolutely' enough footage for a sequel, and the AOL/New York Post report indicated that roughly 30 percent of a potential second film is already shot. Whether formal sequel talks between Lionsgate and the Jackson Estate advance beyond what has been reported has not been confirmed by either party.

Never Miss a Signal

Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.