Police Keep Investigating Fatal Bristol House Explosion After Residents Allowed Home
Zero Signal Staff
Published May 4, 2026 at 10:38 PM ET · 15 days ago

BBC News / Avon and Somerset Police
A woman and a man have died after an explosion at a house in Bristol that police are treating as suspicious.
A woman and a man have died after an explosion at a house in Bristol that police are treating as suspicious. Officers say they were called to a domestic-related incident at the property shortly before the blast occurred.
The Details
Avon and Somerset Police said officers were called at about 6:17am on 3 May 2026 to a residential address on Sterncourt Road in Bristol following a report of a domestic-related incident. An explosion happened inside the property shortly before officers arrived, at just after 6:30am, and police are treating the blast as suspicious.
A woman and a man died at the address. Another man, a woman and a child were taken to hospital with minor injuries.
Police said they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident and are not treating it as terrorism.
Superintendent Matt Ebbs of Avon and Somerset Police told the press on 3 May: "A woman and a man have died at the address and we're treating the explosion as suspicious."
Explosive Ordnance Disposal specialists from the British Army carried out precautionary searches at the scene.
By late on 3 May, police said extensive searches had been completed and the area had been declared safe. Almost all residents who were evacuated from the cordon area were able to return home, though a smaller cordon remained in place for the ongoing investigation.
Police said there was no significant damage believed to have been caused to neighboring properties. Residents evacuated from the cordon area were initially taken to a nearby Harvester pub before being moved to another temporary rest centre.
Police were also carrying out inquiries at a property in Speedwell linked to the man who died.
Context
The incident prompted a major emergency response on 3 May, with a significant cordon established around the property on Sterncourt Road. The presence of Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal specialists reflected the initial uncertainty around the cause of the blast. Police have not publicly identified the two people who died, and the cause of the explosion has not been confirmed. No arrests or charges have been announced.
What's Next
Superintendent Matt Ebbs said: "This remains a complex and sensitive investigation and we'll continue to provide updates as and when they're available." A reduced cordon remained in place while officers continued their inquiries at the scene and at the linked property in Speedwell.
Never Miss a Signal
Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.
