Back to Home
Trending

Thailand Edges Toward Missing 2026 World Cup Broadcasts as Rights Costs Top 1.7 Billion Baht

ZS

Zero Signal Staff

Published May 19, 2026 at 7:02 PM ET · 1 day ago

Thailand is moving closer to missing out on national television coverage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup after private sponsors declined to help fund a broadcast-rights package priced at more than 1.7 billion baht.

Thailand is moving closer to missing out on national television coverage of the 2026 FIFA World Cup after private sponsors declined to help fund a broadcast-rights package priced at more than 1.7 billion baht. The assessment was made public by Prime Minister’s Office Minister Supamas Isarabhakdi, who said the package was simply too expensive to justify given the lack of commercial backing. The development puts at risk a public commitment made by Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul earlier this month, when he promised on May 6 that Thais would be able to watch the tournament even though broadcast rights were still unresolved at that time.

The Details

Supamas Isarabhakdi, who serves as Prime Minister’s Office Minister, said the FIFA rights package for Thailand was too expensive and that sponsors were not keen to support the government’s bid to secure matches for local viewers. Her statement came a day after Prime Minister’s Office Minister Paradorn Prissanananthakul outlined the full financial picture surrounding the proposed broadcast deal, giving the first detailed public accounting of what the package would require from state coffers if Thailand moves forward.

According to Paradorn, the rights fee itself stands at about 1.3 billion baht. On top of that, the government would face roughly 300 million baht in taxes and about 100 million baht in operating costs, pushing the total expenditure above 1.7 billion baht. The figure represents a significant increase over the amount Thailand paid for the previous tournament.

Supamas said the government would struggle to justify spending that amount on broadcasting a sporting event. In comments reported by the Bangkok Post, she said: “The high cost of the broadcast rights is something that we cannot explain to people.”

Paradorn has raised an alternative use for the funds if the government decides not to proceed with the broadcast purchase. “Perhaps using the same amount to support youth development programmes and strengthen Thai football infrastructure would create greater long-term benefits,” he said. The suggestion signals that at least some officials are viewing the potential savings as an opportunity to invest domestically rather than on a foreign rights package.

Context

The potential blackout marks a reversal from a public commitment made by Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on May 6. On that date, he promised that Thais would be able to watch the 2026 tournament even though broadcast rights remained unresolved at the time. His pledge came before ministers began publicly discussing the full 1.7 billion baht cost and the lack of sponsor interest that now threatens to derail the plan.

Thailand faced a similar situation during the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, where broadcast rights cost about 1.4 billion baht. That deal subsequently led to a distribution dispute that left approximately one million IPTV households unable to watch some matches, creating widespread frustration among viewers who had expected full coverage across all platforms.

Following that controversy, Thailand’s regulator removed the World Cup from its mandatory “must-have” sports list. The regulatory change means free-to-air access is no longer automatically guaranteed by rule. Instead, broadcast rights must be negotiated commercially rather than mandated by government regulation, leaving the decision in the hands of the government and potential broadcast partners rather than requiring automatic distribution.

The 2026 World Cup is scheduled to run from June 11 to July 19 across the United States, Canada and Mexico. For viewers in Thailand, match times would fall overnight and into the late morning, adding practical scheduling considerations to any broadcast investment.

What's Next

No final decision has been announced by the government on whether to proceed with the broadcast-rights purchase. With private sponsors showing no interest and the total price tag exceeding 1.7 billion baht, officials are weighing whether to abandon the broadcast bid entirely and reallocate the funds toward other priorities, including domestic football development.

Paradorn has suggested the money could instead go toward youth development programmes and strengthening Thai football infrastructure, a proposal that could reshape how the government approaches sporting investment if adopted by the Cabinet. Ministers have indicated that any decision must balance public desire to watch the tournament against the fiscal burden of securing the rights without external funding support.

The coming weeks will likely determine whether Prime Minister Anutin’s May 6 promise can be kept, or whether Thailand will watch from the sidelines as the world’s biggest football tournament kicks off without local broadcast coverage.

Never Miss a Signal

Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.