Back to Home
Politics

Trump Pauses Hormuz Escort Mission While U.S. and Iran Test Talks

ZS

Zero Signal Staff

Published May 5, 2026 at 9:36 PM ET · 15 days ago

Trump Pauses Hormuz Escort Mission While U.S. and Iran Test Talks

Reuters / ABC News / Fox News

President Donald Trump said on Monday that the United States would temporarily halt its operation escorting commercial ships through the Strait of Hormuz while negotiators test whether a final agreement with Iran can be reached. The broader U.S.

President Donald Trump said on Monday that the United States would temporarily halt its operation escorting commercial ships through the Strait of Hormuz while negotiators test whether a final agreement with Iran can be reached. The broader U.S. blockade on Iran will remain in effect during the pause, Trump said.

The Details

Trump announced the pause in a social media post, writing that "We have mutually agreed that, while the Blockade will remain in full force and effect, Project Freedom ... will be paused for a short period of time to see whether or not the Agreement can be finalized and signed." He said the broader U.S. blockade on Iran would remain in force during the pause.

On May 4, the administration launched Project Freedom to escort commercial ships through the strait, according to ABC News. The administration said two vessels had already been helped through the strait before Trump announced the pause, according to ABC News. Iran denied that any crossings had taken place, Reuters reported. The U.S. claim and Iran's denial point to conflicting accounts of whether escorted crossings had succeeded, Reuters reported.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio framed the shift as a move to a defensive posture. "There's no shooting unless we're shot at first," Rubio said at a White House briefing, describing Operation Epic Fury as concluded. His remarks indicated that American forces in the strait would fire only if attacked first.

On May 5, Rubio declared Operation Epic Fury concluded and described the current U.S. mission in the strait as defensive. Later that same day, Trump announced the temporary pause of Project Freedom. The pause drew coverage from Reuters, ABC News, the Associated Press, Al Jazeera and Fox News.

Context

The Strait of Hormuz sits between Iran and Oman and is one of the world's most important energy chokepoints, according to Reuters. The strait is a center of the U.S.-Iran shipping confrontation and global energy-market disruption, Reuters reported. The route has been effectively shut since the war began, according to Reuters, disrupting a path that normally carries about one-fifth of the world's oil and gas supply. Any disruption there quickly affects oil prices and shipping costs globally, Reuters reported. The current confrontation has expanded beyond direct U.S.-Iran military actions to include attacks on commercial shipping, United Nations diplomacy, and regional mediation efforts led in part by Pakistan, according to Reuters and ABC News. The broader U.S. blockade on Iran remains in force during the pause.

Despite the pause announcement, commercial shipping risk remained acute. Britain's Maritime Trade Operations agency reported that a cargo vessel was struck by a projectile in the strait on May 5. The incident underscored that dangers to civilian traffic had not subsided even as Washington discussed dialing back its escort operation, Reuters reported.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said peace talks were still progressing with Pakistan's mediation, Reuters reported. There was no immediate public reaction from Tehran to Trump's announcement.

What's Next

The U.S. blockade on Iran will remain in place while the escort mission is paused, Trump said. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said peace talks were still progressing with Pakistan's mediation, though Reuters reported there was no immediate public reaction from Tehran to Trump's announcement. Britain's Maritime Trade Operations agency said a cargo vessel was struck by a projectile in the strait on May 5, underscoring that commercial shipping risk remained high. The Strait of Hormuz has been effectively shut since the war began, disrupting a route that normally carries about one-fifth of the world's oil and gas supply, according to Reuters. Rubio described the current U.S. posture in the strait as defensive after declaring Operation Epic Fury concluded. The confrontation has also expanded to include United Nations diplomacy and regional mediation efforts led in part by Pakistan, according to Reuters and ABC News. Al Jazeera, the Associated Press and Fox News also reported on the diplomatic and military dimensions of the pause.

Never Miss a Signal

Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.