Back to Home
Trending

U.S. Denies Iranian Claim That Navy Ship Was Hit Near Strait Of Hormuz

ZS

Zero Signal Staff

Published May 4, 2026 at 7:32 PM ET · 16 days ago

U.S. Denies Iranian Claim That Navy Ship Was Hit Near Strait Of Hormuz

Reuters

The U.S. military denied that any Navy ship was struck near the Strait of Hormuz after Iranian state-linked and semi-official outlets said American forces had been fired on in the area.

The U.S. military denied that any Navy ship was struck near the Strait of Hormuz after Iranian state-linked and semi-official outlets said American forces had been fired on in the area. Reuters reported that Iranian officials later described the fire as warning shots, leaving sharply conflicting accounts of what happened during a wider day of escalation around the waterway.

The Details

Iranian state-linked and semi-official outlets said a U.S. Navy vessel in or near the Strait of Hormuz was fired on after ignoring Iranian warnings, according to The Express, which cited Iranian navy claims and Fars News Agency. Those accounts described the vessel as having been struck or driven back, but the claim has not been independently verified in the sourced record.

U.S. Central Command rejected the Iranian account. "No US Navy ships have been struck," CENTCOM said, according to reports from the BBC and CNBC that cited the command's statement. CENTCOM also said American forces were supporting Project Freedom and enforcing the naval blockade on Iranian ports, according to the BBC.

Reuters reported that an initial Iranian report said a U.S. warship was struck, but Washington denied that account and Iranian officials later described the fire as warning shots. That Reuters account is central to the public record because it separates the early Iranian claim of a hit from the later Iranian description of warning fire.

CNBC reported, citing CENTCOM, that U.S. Navy guided-missile destroyers were operating in the Arabian Gulf at the time. CNBC also reported that two U.S.-flagged merchant vessels had successfully transited the Strait of Hormuz, according to CENTCOM.

Fars News Agency, as quoted by CNBC, gave a different account of the alleged encounter. "The ship was unable to continue its route due to these hits and was forced to retreat and flee the area," Fars said, according to CNBC. That version conflicts with the U.S. denial and with Reuters' report that Iranian officials later characterized the fire as warning shots.

The briefed record does not identify the exact class or name of the U.S. vessel described in the Iranian claim. It also does not include independent evidence confirming that a U.S. Navy ship was hit. The most cautious reading of the available reporting is that Iran made or amplified a strike claim, the U.S. denied any Navy vessel was struck, and Reuters later reported an Iranian shift toward describing the action as warning shots.

The conflicting accounts emerged as the United States and Iran were already locked in a broader confrontation over shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, according to Reuters. The available reports also place the incident inside the newly announced Project Freedom mission cited by CENTCOM, according to the BBC.

Context

The Strait of Hormuz is a major route for energy shipments. Roughly 20% of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments normally pass through the strait, according to the BBC, CNBC and Reuters, which is why conflicting military claims in the area carry global significance.

Reuters reported that other commercial vessels and a UAE oil port were also hit or set ablaze during the day's escalation. That reporting underscores the difficulty of confirming battlefield claims quickly when several maritime incidents are unfolding at the same time.

The public accounts also show how the same episode was presented in different ways. Iranian media and state-linked sources described a U.S. Navy vessel as struck or driven back, according to Fars and Iranian military statements summarized by The Express, the BBC and CNBC. CENTCOM denied that any U.S. Navy ship was hit, and Reuters reported that Iranian officials later described the fire as warning shots.

What's Next

The immediate factual question is whether any additional official evidence emerges to support or contradict the Iranian account. The current briefed record says no independently verified evidence confirms that a U.S. Navy vessel was struck, and it says the identity and class of the vessel in the Iranian claim remain unconfirmed.

Further updates are likely to depend on official disclosures from CENTCOM, Iranian authorities or additional reporting from outlets already tracking the confrontation. For now, the sourced record supports a narrow conclusion: Iran claimed hostile action near the Strait of Hormuz, the U.S. denied any Navy ship was struck, and Reuters reported Iranian officials later described the fire as warning shots.

Never Miss a Signal

Get the latest breaking news and daily briefings from Zero Signal News directly to your inbox.